Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Honey Beer Bread


 

There is nothing better than the smell of fresh, baking bread permeating the house. For this reason, bread is one of my favorite things to bake. Unfortunately, most yeast breads take a least a couple of hours to make, having to let the yeast rise and then actually baking the bread. I have been scouring the internet for a good quick bread to add to my recipe box for occasions where I only have a few minutes  but would love to have some fresh bread to accompany my dinner.




I finally stumbled upon this recipe for a quick beer bread posted by The Brown Eyed Baker. The recipe is almost too easy to be true. All the ingredients are things that one would generally have in their pantry (or fridge) and it only takes one bowl to make! I had tucked this recipe away to make in the future.


I finally had the perfect occasion to test out this recipe this week. My hubby had come down with some sort of bug and I thought I would prepare some lentil soup to make him feel better. I don't know about you but whenever I eat soup I need some fresh bread to go along with it. Some how, I had completely forgotten to pick up some bread from the store. I stressed out for about 10 minutes before I remembered bookmarking this recipe!


Within 10 minutes, the dough was mixed, in the oven and the smell of bread was already filling the house. While the bread was baking, I was able to put together my soup and by the time it was done, I was able to serve my hubby healthy lentil soup and fresh baked bread. I couldn't think of a better cure!


The hubby loved the bread (and the soup as well)! It had a very nice, fine crumb and you can really taste the beer flavor in it. I used an IPA which is very hoppy so this may have contributed to the flavor. I would suggest using a beer that you enjoy drinking since the flavor does come through in the bread.

This bread is fabulous and if you have five minutes, you can get this bread into the oven! It is quick, easy and, honestly, who doesn't love fresh baked bread straight from the oven!

Live. Love. Bake.


Honey Beer Bread
Adapted from The Brown Eyed Baker's Buttery Honey Beer Bread recipe. Yields 1 loaf.

Ingredients 

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup bread flour (you can use all-purpose flour if you don't have bread flour)
1 Tb. sugar
1 Tb. baking powder
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1 (12-ounce) bottle of your favorite beer 

1-3 Tb. honey (depending on how sweet you want the bread)
2 Tb. melted butter, melted and slightly cooled

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan and set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together both flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Create a well in the middle of the flour mixture and add the beer and honey. Stir with a big spoon until it is thoroughly combined. It will be thick and sticky so make sure to incorporate any dry ingredients that stick to the bottom.
  3. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared loaf pan. Drizzle the melted butter evenly over the top of the batter. 
  4. Bake for 30 minutes and then rotate the pan 180 degrees. Bake for an additional 20 to 30 minutes, or until the loaf is golden brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
  5. Allow to cool to room temperature before slicing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment